Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Cancer Support Group

I have always been a healthy person. I have always had a pretty easy going life. When I found out that I had cancer, telling my children was the hardest part. Knowing that I might not be around to watch my grandchildren grow up, or to see my youngest son get married, was a very difficult concept to accept.

I was about to begin the last chapter of my life... A chapter that I didn't really want to face.

After living in a state of shock, anger, and then followed by severe depression for a few weeks, I began to get through it. I realized that yes, my life was going to be much shorter than I had anticipated, but I was still alive. I began to seek out support groups for people with terminal illness. This was an unbelievable help for me.

It didn’t make having mesothelioma any easier. That part was still terrible. What the support group did do was to help me feel like I am not the only person to go through such a horrible experience.

By sharing our stories and our sources of comfort and hope, I felt a sense of being more at peace with things. For anyone who is going through a similar condition, I whole heatedly suggest that you get involved with a Cancer Support Group of some sort. It has provided me with a lot of solace.

Best wishes,

Rhys.

No comments:

Post a Comment